Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Wednesday 15th September 2010

Decided that it is about time that I actually try and get this blog up and running,  but need to work out how it all works.  So here goes.

To keep to the theme of the blog itself, todays canalside story involves one of the herons that live somewhere in the vicinity.  Went out to hang some washing and there he was, as bold as brass, in my neighbours garden.  He stood there looking very proud and elegant, although do tend to think he resembles an undertaker,  but that might be related to the vulcher in Jungle Book.   Anyway,  my first thought was  'where is the neighbourhood cat when you need him'.  Cruel you might say,  but not as cruel as said heron when he attacks my poor defenceless goldfish and eats them.  Especially when he has a giant 'take away' service within the canal.

To be honest the 'neighbourhood cat'  is not really that popular.  We have all moaned and groaned when we have found he has dug up various seedlings or tried to attack the birds when they are feeding.  However, he really got himself a bad reputation in the spring, when he appeared from nowhere and attacked the goslings who were in neighbours garden with their parents.  Fortunately my neighbour was there at the time, although did not see him until he actually pounced and rolled with one of the goslings.  Parents got such a fright that they took flight, but luckily cat was chased off and gosling lived to tell the tale.  Was quite a while though before they ventured out of the water again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheena, welcome to the world of blog. I didn't realise you lived n such a dangerous corner of the UK. If I'm ever down your way I shall have to watch out for that heron. Lovely pictures. BTW, I have become your first follower.
    florrie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing on my blog. I am slowly getting there, but now need to work out exactly how to get the photos in between all the text. However, being a great fiddler on the laptop, expect it will happen soon (probably by mistake).

    ReplyDelete